I came across an interesting blog recently and she had this topic and shared that she had done this every year for years on end. Although I am a bit late I thought it quite interesting, healthy and fun. I’ll attach the questions at the end for copy and pasting so you can easily do this on your own, even if you don’t share it with the world, I think it’s a very wonderful exercise.
Here we go…
- What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before? Went to counseling. I confess I didn’t really enjoy it at all, learned things about myself that were not pretty to see. I found the digging into a soul quite painful but oh so helpful at the same time. sigh…
- Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?Probably not and no.
- Did anyone close to you give birth? My nephew’s fiancé, does that count? I think so, we have a beautiful new little family member and he is so adorable and looks just like his daddy!
- Did anyone close to you die? Not me, this was my daughter’s lot this year. )o:
- What countries did you visit? Well Mexico of course, I live in Oregon… duh
- What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013? An inner and outer peace. In my heart, my home, my relationships, my head… 2013 was filled with questions and confusion that still linger to this day, I am weary of that.
- What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? I’ve got two, I’ll go in order. July 31, my world was flipped upside down and changed. Worst day in my entire life, simply writing this chokes me up. blah.. Second, August 10th, attended the most beautiful wedding I’ve ever been to, witnessed my son marry his bride and the love of two families come together. Simply writing this makes me choke up, such love and beauty I’d live it over a thousand times.
- What was your biggest achievement of the year? Wow this seriously convicts me that I need to be more goal oriented, I am not sure I ‘achieved’ anything at all. I guess I’ll say going through the fire for multiple reasons all at the same time over a 6 month period and not loosing my faith, although I felt close at times.
- What was your biggest failure? Ugghh… Lost a boatload of money on an immature financial and life decision.
- Did you suffer illness or injury? No thank God, although someone very close to me did, who I desperately love.
- What was the best thing you bought? A beautiful new home that I love. It’s all me, my style, character, the floor plan, the simple touches, the view is so lovely and the neighborhood brings me such joy. I am incredibly blessed and grateful.
- Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Well I am certainly not going to call someone out by name but there are a couple. Let’s just say I came to understand fully what narcism is and it’s sickening effects. So sad in every sense of the word and to watch someone you dearly love be used, manipulated and disrespected as a result of it this mental illness, ugh… Second my short lived landlord this summer, simply put; “what a bitch.”
- Whose behavior merited celebration? My daughter Laura, big hard choices, decisions, roads, disciplines, etc… My Sister Reneé and her entire family, coming to our rescue in a time of need where we simply did not have the ability to see beyond the pain. My husband, making choices and decisions simply for the sake of others, complete self sacrifice and hard steps, all for the sake of honor that is unreceived.
- Where did most of your money go? Well yeah there is that failure above… I’ll add my new house along with dining out, our very favorite thing to do!
- What did you get really, really, really excited about? I’m not gonna sugar coat, the prospect of owning a beautiful home in sunny California with a pool in my backyard. My man and me, we love warm.
- What song will always remind you of 2013? Two again… Landslide, Stevie Nicks. Not necessarily because of the words, but because of the person it makes me think of and the words have very much to do with that. I think they know who they are. (O: Here Comes the Sun, Beatles. My Son and his beautiful bride began their ceremony with it, so lovely. Both songs make me cry with tears and they each bring sweet joy and hope to my heart.
- Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Maybe a wee sadder but working on that. Richer or Poorer? Same. Older or wiser? A resounding yes for both. Fatter or thinner? Well nothing fits and they aren’t loose.
- What do you wish you’d done more of? Time with loved ones and friends laughing, completely cracking up… It wasn’t the easiest of years.
- What do you wish you’d done less of? Worry
- How did you spend Christmas? In my new home, literally moved in 10 days before, surrounded with almost all of my family. Sadly very pregnant daughter was not allowed to travel so far. We had presents, cooked together, ate well, played pool, did a walk, they played Mario Party… It was actually super sweet.
- Did you fall in love in 2013? The more I know my husband, the more in love with him I fall, so yes. I only want more time with him each day.
Seriously, how can I not be madly in love with this doll. What a gift he is.
- What was your favorite TV program? This is where you see how pathetic I really am. I’m just not that into TV…. Top Chef, I love it, tape it, never miss it.. It’s the best.
- Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Hate is a pretty strong word, I’ll choose contempt it feels a bit less harsh. I think I mentioned them above…
- What was the best book you read? I am in a book club that I love and all the books are so interesting and great but truth be told, it’s the Bible.
- What was your greatest musical discovery? Not Mumford, good grief… it seems so hip and overdone to me… But I know I know nothing, I admit I am super lame when it comes to music, I’m the dork that loves American Idol because of what it offers to the lives of young talented people. I’ll just have to say Cold Play even though they are not new at all. I love their sound and the words to their songs.
- What did you want and get? A wife for my son, a new daughter in law for me, a sweet family member for us. My heart’s cry for each of my children is to love and be loved in the true sense of the word, for their entire lives’, with a spouse for life.
- What did you want and not get? A new life/adventure in California and all that came with that, in my dreams… (o:
- What was your favorite film of this year? The Butler, I am a sucker for an inspirational story that is connected to history.
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? Didn’t really celebrate or acknowledge it last year. 52
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Learning how to deal with a somewhat complex situation that Ive been confronted with. I am simply baffled at the outcome of it and can’t wrap my heart and head around how to get around the mis-trust and pain its caused me personally. I so wish I could let go of that and move forward, but having a hard time. Sincerely wish I could conquer my selfishness.
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013? Neutral, so much black and grey. I so struggle with pattern. Leggings, boots, longer simple shirts. So plain. I have a true desire to dress so much better but have quite a hard time spending any real money on clothing for myself. I do own like 12 pairs of boots but they are all cheap or clearance.
- What kept you sane? Jesus, Prayer and wine. My husband too…
- Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Gosh I am not sure if I even know. I know those I don’t fancy… I suppose Ellen, she’s beautiful, she’s real, she’s generous, she’s so friendly and seems quite filled with joy.
- What political issue stirred you the most? Oh I think I can use the word hate here. I hate politics, I think there is a lot of good and a lot of bad and I think no one knows it all. I hate what it does to people.
- Who did you miss? Well I’m not sure what this has to do with 2013 but I miss my dad. I wish he could see me and my family now. My children have always missed him and who he was to them in the short time they knew him. I miss him, he was a loving daddy and grandpa.
- Who was the best new person you met? This may come as a surprise but he was actually a realtor. His name was Alan, what a gift of a friend and encouragement he was to Bill and I. I’m not sure I ever met another person who was as welcoming, generous, caring, insightful and fun as he was from the moment we met him. His story filled me with fascination and respect, he is man who truly knows how to live life on so many levels. A sincerely wonderful human being in every sense of the word and he has a beautiful wife that matches his greatness quite well.
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013? Things may not only always go the way that you hope and plan, your life can become such a shipwreck that you are literally sinking with darkness all around. If you are treated poorly by someone, walking away is okay. There are people in life that will take more than you can possible give, they care only for their own well being and reputation, they’ll hurt anyone in their way of that, move on from them. There is always hope and change regardless of what your shattered dreams are or were. There is always love. Grace is incredibly important, we all need it and we all should give it. This may sound contradicting to my above statement, its not, circumstances sometimes make for very hard choices. Family means more than anything, keep them as close as you possible can.
A wee taste of the rich blessing of family..
It’s All right.
I’ve decided to humbly add this. Please refrain from asking me, no matter who you are, what the event was that turned my life upside down. With that, with me, its not alright. As my dad would’ve said, “Kapish?” Thanks (o:
- What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
- Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
- Did anyone close to you give birth?
- Did anyone close to you die?
- What countries did you visit?
- What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
- What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
- What was your biggest achievement of the year?
- What was your biggest failure?
- Did you suffer illness or injury?
- What was the best thing you bought?
- Whose behavior merited celebration?
- Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
- Where did most of your money go?
- What did you get really, really, really excited about?
- What song will always remind you of 2013?
- Compared to this time last year, are you:Happier or sadder? Richer or poorer? Thinner or fatter? Older or Wiser?
- What do you wish you’d done more of?
- What do you wish you’d done less of?
- How did you spend Christmas?
- Did you fall in love in 2013?
- What was your favorite TV program?
- Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
- What was the best book you read?
- What was your greatest musical discovery?
- What did you want and get?
- What did you want and not get?
- What was your favorite film of this year?
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
- What kept you sane?
- Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
- What political issue stirred you the most?
- Who did you miss?
- Who was the best new person you met?
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013: